Cognera (www.cognera.com), a division of Harris Computer Systems, provides next-generation billing solutions and online services to help our clients improve their customer relationships. Our deep-rooted experience in the energy and utilities industries, in both the regulated and deregulated environments, makes us a natural choice when upgrading systems to meet evolving business, regulatory and technology requirements.
Cognera’s environment is fast-paced and offers significant career growth potential for self-starting individuals. We take pride in our office and our employees by striving to create an enjoyable work environment. We are committed to the success of the clients who use our products and services, and to the ethical growth of our company and people. We believe that working together rather than working alone generates more opportunity, inspires greater creativity, and produces superior value.
Harris Computer Systems has been providing complete Customer Information System (CIS) and Financial Management solutions exclusively to public and municipal utilities for over 30 years. Our track record speaks for itself. We are an experienced, solid company with proven solutions that are presently in use by over 6000 customers across North America. We are the number one provider of powerful Financial and CIS solutions because of our specialized understanding of the electric, water and gas utility industry and our commitment to customer relationships.
Harris Computer Systems is a member of the Constellation Software Inc. group of companies.
This is a position that requires a talented and motivated individual who can uniquely balance their business knowledge, technical skills and strong interpersonal skills.
The Business Analyst will work cross-functionally with our Clients, Operations, and R&D teams and will be responsible for facilitating the analysis of stakeholders’ business needs, documenting requirements, and developing process workflows. In addition, the Business Analyst will proactively support the organization’s growth through research, analysis, and industry engagement including investigation, evaluation and development of new business opportunities and products.
Project Planning & Business/Workflow Analysis
- Facilitate requirements gathering sessions with business clients and other stakeholders to gather business and process flow requirements.
- Perform thorough analysis to identify gaps and opportunities, and recommend solutions that balance both IT and Business needs.
- Accurately/completely translate results of requirements gathering sessions and analysis into usable documentation.
- Ensure requirements captured are clear (i.e. written in business language, process models properly created), accurate and detailed enough to support downstream design, development activities efficiently and effectively – i.e. leave no opportunity for “interpretation” of the business requirement by others.
- Support IT processes to help ensure seamless transition from test production
- Assist in project planning and project scope sessions to ensure compliance with the project charter, implementation plan, and client agreements.
Business Development & Engagement Management
- Build our clients’ capabilities; encouraging them to achieve success beyond their expectations by identifying opportunities for recommending additional product and services that fit the needs of our clients.
- Support Project Managers in managing engagement contracts, identifying & escalating bottlenecks, project progress updates, and optimizing working capital.
- Delivery of professional services that ensure key project milestones are met on a timely manner, in addition to exceptional utilization of assigned resources.
Product Expertise & Leadership
- Be a leader in providing subject matter expertise to R&D and other operational groups, by understanding market trends of client needs and business practices to ensure the success of our product, incorporating industry best practices in order to maintain strengthen our position within the market.
- Review and analyze the effectiveness and efficiency of existing systems and develop strategies for improving or further leveraging these systems.
To meet this challenge, you must possess a high level of initiative and energy as required to succeed in a fast-paced team environment, and should also possess the following skills:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business or Information Systems; or equivalent experience.
- 5+ years in business and systems analysis, requirements planning and documentation.
- Certified Business Analysis Professional (CBAP) and/or Certification of Competency in Business Analysis (CCBA) designations are desirable.
- Strong customer focus and demonstrated stakeholder management skills with the ability to influence cross-functional teams without formal authority.
- Previous utility or billing experience preferred (experience working in a deregulated power and gas environment an asset).
- Excellent listener and communicator with the ability to document requirements in a manner that is sufficiently detailed and clear to support downstream design and development activities, and upstream stakeholder management.
- Proven experience with project methodologies, such as waterfall, iterative and/or agile and/or Kanban, and requirement elicitation and management.
- Process driven – strong understanding of business process re-engineering would be an advantage.
- Outstanding problem solving, analysis, attention to detail, and decision-making capabilities.
- Entrepreneurial Spirit, with a willingness to ‘roll up sleeves’ and work at all levels of client organization.
- Experience working with both Customer-facing and IT groups.
- Familiarity with SQL is desired.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently with focus on time management to meet tight deadlines in a dynamic team environment.
Applications are accepted at this link:
920, 530 8th Avenue SW
Calgary, Alberta T2P 3S8
Please feel free to browse our website for further information at
“An Equal Opportunity Employer”