Oracle DBA / System Administrator
Calgary, Alberta Canada office
Cognera (cognera.com), a division of Harris Computer Systems, provides next generation billing solutions and online services to help our clients improve their customer relationships. Our deep-rooted experience in the energy and utilities industries, in both regulated and deregulated environments, makes us a natural choice when upgrading systems to meet evolving business, regulatory and technology requirements.
Cognera’s environment is fast-paced and offers significant career growth potential for self-starting individuals. When people think about Cognera, they think teamwork, client focus, and fun.
Harris Computer Systems has been providing complete Customer Information System (CIS) and Financial Management solutions exclusively to public and municipal utilities for over 30 years. Our track record speaks for itself. We are an experienced, solid company with proven solutions that are presently in use by over 6000 customers across North America. We are the number one provider of powerful Financial and CIS solutions because of our specialized understanding of the electric, water and gas utility industry and our commitment to customer relationships.
Harris Computer Systems is a member of the Constellation Software Inc. group of companies.
Reports to: Manager, Infrastructure
Interrelationships: As a member of the Infrastructure team you will work closely with various functional groups across the business
As the Oracle DBA/System Administrator you are an exceptional contributor to run and maintain Cognera’s Database related application systems. You have significant experience as a DBA and extensive knowledge of the Oracle suite of products and Linux.ill
JOB DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Work as a member of the Infrastructure team to proactively and collaboratively plan the future of systems, process, and procedures.
- Installing, maintaining and upgrading Oracle databases
- Installing, maintaining and upgrading Oracle fusion middleware software
- Installing, maintaining and upgrading Java application server environments such as Tomcat
- Installing, maintaining and upgrading Linux
- Managing the database storage structures
- Releasing management activities during and outside of standard business hours
- Managing users and security, within Linux and databases.
- Managing schema objects such as tables, indexes, and views
- Making database back-ups and performing recovery when necessary
- Proactively monitoring the database’s health and taking preventative or corrective action as required
- Development (scripting) activities to meet internal IT requirements
- Working with Project Leads, Business Analysts, and Quality Assurance personnel in various software projects
- Participate in project scope, progress tracking, identification of risks, and review activities to ensure overall quality of projects
- Preparation of documentation as identified for each stage in the delivery methodology
- Various other related duties as required
- Very strong expertise in Oracle Database (Oracle 12c) is required
- Knowledge of Oracle supplied packages (CPU, PSU, SPU)
- Solid understanding of Oracle analytical functions
- Degree in Information Technology complemented by at least 10 years related work experience
- An understanding of object-oriented analysis, design and development in N-tier environments
- Experience with source control tools is required
- Ability to create and read UML modeling diagrams
- Unit testing using standard unit testing frameworks is an asset
- Experience with Java programming language, Unix / Linux scripting
- Industry experience or working for entrepreneurial/start-up company is a definite asset
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal
- Highly motivated with the ability to work well independently and within a team environment
- Excellent organizational skills, attention to detail and the ability to handle several tasks efficiently
- Desire to work in and help promote a fun and exciting work environment
- Oracle certification is an asset
- Linux/Unix system administration certification is an asset
- Remain cool under pressure
Salary will be commensurate with experience and job responsibilities. Harris offers excellent fringe benefits including a generous vacation policy and health, dental, life and disability insurance.
Applications are accepted at this link:
530 8th Avenue SW
Calgary, Alberta T2P 3S8
Please feel free to browse our website for further information at
“An Equal Opportunity Employer”